The Lebanon Police Department seeks to demonstrate a high level of professional performance, to enhance and maintain the professional integrity of the department, and to promote a high level of community confidence in its operations.
The Professional Standards Bureau is responsible for implementing policy, procedures, and directives that aid the organization and its members to realize these goals. In addition, the Professional Standards Bureau facilitates the Internal Affairs function of the police department.
The functional areas of the Professional Standards Bureau include:
- Policy development and Management
- Grant Writing and Management
- Liaison to the Planning Department
- Oversee the Communications Division
- Pursue Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) Accreditation for the Police Department and Communications Division
CALEA accredited departments must adhere to standards set by CALEA. Once Accreditation is awarded, every 3 years an accredited agency must provide proof of the department's compliance with 446 standards established by the commission.
Standards Address 9 Major Law Enforcement Categories
- Inter-agency relationships
- Organization, management, and administration
- Personnel structure
- Personnel process
- Operational support
- Traffic operations
- Prisoner and court-related activities
- Auxiliary and technical services
Standards set forth by CALEA serve as a guide for the agency to strengthen its operations, improve service delivery, solidify interagency cooperation, and establish fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices. Ultimately the standards improve the department's ability to boost citizen and staff confidence in the agency. The Lebanon Police Department is committed to providing the most professional services possible and being CALEA Accredited helps in keeping with that goal.