Ped and Bike Safety & Skills
The following page contains safety and skills information related to the Lebanon Pedestrian & Bicyclist Advisory Committee.
Crash Data Analysis
Based on Lebanon Police Department reports and prepared for review by the Ped & Bike Advisory Committee (note: the content does not reflect any decisions or official recommendations). For detailed related information, see the meeting minutes and media for the respective presentation date.
Education and Awareness
- Free Library of Smart Cycling Videos - We encourage you to watch and share these short clips with your family, students, and other riders, both new and experienced. Themes include: scanning the road, signaling, basic bike check tips, navigating intersections, and traffic laws, among others.
- The Federal Highway Administration has developed safety training materials for children, including age-specific resources. See Bicycle Safer Journey and Pedestrian Safer Journey.
- “Are you a bicycle commuter? Learn how to cycle safely amid vehicle traffic, gear tips, and more. While this resource is not an official government production, it offers excellent tips for beginner and experienced commuters.
- Pedestrian Safety
- Do you know the “Dutch Reach”?
Save lives and look before opening that car door. New York Times article.
Electric Bike (E-bike) Use
Electric bikes sometimes referred to as an "e-bike", are a growing trend in transportation. Since e-bikes are a newer mode of transportation, regulations are still being developed. This article offers basic information about e-bikes and their current regulation in NH as well as the City of Lebanon. Continue reading...
- General Rules for Pedestrians, Bicyclists and Motorists in NH. For example, did you know that bicyclists and motorists must yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk whether the crosswalk is marked or not? And that bicyclists are required to wear reflective gear after dusk?”
- Can I ride my bicycle on sidewalks? Adults (age 12+) are generally not allowed to ride bicycles, scooters, or similar non-assistive equipment on sidewalks in Lebanon - including the pedestrian mall. The fact is, a lot of crashes happen when someone on a bike using the sidewalk. Know the rules and prevent harm.
- Traffic Laws across the U.S.